Monday, August 9, 2010

First week of Radiation

I have made it through my first week of Radiation therapy. So far it has been a good experience. Compared to Chemo, this is much better. I am starting to feel a little irritation in my throat and I can tell I don't have as much energy through out the day as I am used to. The tumors I have had are in the very upper part of my back, the esophagus is near the spine where they are radiating so it does get minimal doses of radiation, causing a sort of sunburn and hence the irritation. However the chemo from last year absolutely knocked me out. I was so drained I didn't have the energy to do anything but sleep. It caused me hair loss, severe heart burn and throat, stomach and bowel irritation. I really didn't enjoy chemo at all. I know it sounds kind of twisted but Radiation is a welcomed change, so far....

I have been molded, or positioned so that I will be in the same spot every time I go in for a treatment. The blue pad is a large bean bag that has been molded around me laying down and all of the air has been sucked out so it retains its shape. The mask is molded around my face so that my head is always in the same place. It is all quite interesting laying there confined and having your head "bolted" to the table. I am then targeted by lasers to calibrate the table position, and minor adjustments are made so that things are precise. The table then moves me back into the tube and I receive my radiation dose. In about 15 mins I am out and on my way. Total time from when I go in to when I leave is about 20-25 mins. The worst part is just having to go in every day.




No comments:

Post a Comment