Sunday, April 1, 2012

The Rest of Radiation

Thankfully the rest of my radiation treatments went quite well. Nothing more that the usual trip across the island over to York Avenue and then up to the 4th floor to wait my turn. Some days they would get me right in, and others I had to wait for some time to take my turn. It was by this time all pretty routine, I could finally find my way around the hospital maze and I would recognize and greet the different workers which was fun to do.

On Tuesday of that week I ran to my appointment early, I was hoping to get in quickly at 2:00 because My amazing wife was flying into JFK airport at 3:15. I knew she could make the trip in from the airport to the City on her own using the subway system but I really wanted to be there to pick her up. Luck would have it, I got in early and I even finished early, No delays. I ran out of the hospital with anticipation to see her. I got on the bus that would take me up to Lexington Ave, where I was going to get off and run a few blocks down town to catch the subway that would take me the rest of the way to JFK. Traffic was getting bad and we had one little old lady that needed the bus driver to load her up on the wheelchair lift. I knew that was going to take a little while longer than I had so I got off and ran (who am I kidding, I walked very fast) the remaining 8 or 9 blocks to the subway station. I knew Amy had already landed and I was going to get into the subway with no cell reception. I sent her a Text letting her know I was on my way but that she would need to wait at the airport until I got there. The transfers between stops all the way to the airport went really smoothly never having to wait more than about 2 mins for the next train. It was very smooth.

Once I got to the end of the line and I transferred to the Air train I was able to call Amy. She was patiently waiting out on the platform for the Air train. The doors opened as we arrived and she hopped right on and off we went!

I was so glad to have Amy there with me. It was a comfort to me, perhaps not absolutely necessary in some eyes but for me it was a need that had been fulfilled. 

I really wanted Amy to meet Dr. Yamada, he is such an amazing man. on my next treatment visit she was able to meet him and talk to him for a little bit. To me the man was starting to feel like family, and to have the one person who matters most to me meet him, meant a lot. 

One of Dr Yamada's nurses was gracious enough to give us vouchers to go eat in the cafeteria at the hospital. For Amy and I it was a blessing. the food was great and it didn't cost us anything. (for those of you who don't know NY is kinda expensive). What a great cheap date, get radiated and then go down and eat in the hospital cafeteria with your lovely wife. Honestly it was fun for us. 

For many people whom I have spoken with, they all had assumed that the whole treatment thing would be excruciating and that it would be a horrible experience. For me it didn't seem so bad, for the time being all I had to do was lay there (OK, I was restrained in the process) and hold still. There were times where I was very uncomfortable but, I was never in any extreme pain during treatment. The side effects would be the painful part but they wouldn't take effect for at least a week or two after the radiation was completed. So for now I was doing great and I was just imagining that we were on a long awaited vacation. Maybe it is kind of twisted to think that a medical treatment trip was a vacation, but we will take it however we can get it, we were going to make lemonade out of lemons!  

1 comment:

  1. Chad I love your Optimism. I continue to pray for you and your family. I wish you well and am glad that even in your hard times you are finding Joy in your journey. I hope the best for you and your family.